Nursery Admissions in Delhi NCR 2024-25

Admission Dates | Admission Criteria | Compare schools | Fee Details

Govt fixes upper age limit for nursery intake | Neighbourhood to get more points

Govt fixes upper age limit for nursery intake
HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times
New Delhi, December 20, 2012

The Delhi government has finally stepped in to do away with all ambiguity regarding the upper age limit in nursery admissions that start from January 1 next year. In a meeting of the State Advisory Board convened by Education minister Kiran Walia, it was decided that the upper age limit

In the guidelines that were released on December 13, only the minimum age limit, i.e. 3+ years was mentioned.

"There was a lot of ambiguity in terms of age with some schools not admitting students who were close to four years old. There is now a clear guideline on age," said Amit Singla, director, Education.

Another important decision that will affect the admission procedure is the suggestion that neighbourhood be given the maximum points in the points system for admission.

"It was decided in the meeting that schools will give the maximum points for neighbourhood in keeping with the Supreme Court's order that children in the neighbourhood be given the first priority," said MS Rawat, member of the Advisory Board and general secretary of the Federation of Private Schools, Delhi. 

The meeting also opened the doors for schools to start second shifts provided they are not run for commercial purposes. Schools have been demanding second shifts in the city for a long time now to meet the demand for admissions.

"The minister has agreed to let schools open second shifts provided we follow the RTE there as well and that the morning staff and principal be different from the evening staff and principal. This step will go a long way in improving the educational prospects of students," said Rawat.

A committee will be formulated to look into the matter opening of second shifts in

private schools, a statement issued by the Delhi Government said.

"That the upper age limit has been fixed is a matter of relief for many parents as a number of schools were not giving admission to kids who were older than three and a half years. This is victory for many such parents. The limit, however, seems a little stringent, especially for those who did not get admission last year and are now 4 years old. Getting admission in KG is very difficult," said Sumit Vohra, founder admissionsnursery.com, a portal for parents.

Views: 1670

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am little confuse with this announcement :( ....my son is completing 4 years on 6th January 2013. I want to know ...Is he able to take admission in class nursery? Please help me I'll be very grateful to you.

abhilasha

@Abhilasha, I dont think so. No one should complete 4 years before march 31 for eligibility.

@ Abhilasha - You son will be eligible for KG or Pre- Primary admission.

My son will be of four years on 11th Feb,2013. I want to know whether he is eligible for admission in nursery or not!
Plz help me out

Asmi

hello....

i am a bit confused ,so can someone please tell me that my son is born on 11 feb 2010 and so he is turning 3 in coming feb 2013......so will it be posssible for him to get in nursery in 2014 instead of 2013,if we wish to give him one more

year in play school.

This is to Lathaa ji, sumit ji and Sakshiji: Pls help sort this out.

First..is this decision now final? i mean i do not see its notification on the DOE website?

Second...Will the individual schools not have a discretion to decide in marginal cases..i mean my son just runs over this criteria by about 8 days...his dob is 23rd march 2009

Third...I think this decision is one year too early..this way the kids who did not get admission in the previous year or who opted out, have now to work on an uneven platform and getting admission in kg is way too difficult..i know a person who had to shell out quite a large sum to get admission in kg 

Cant really figure out how every year the guidelines keep changing and frankly i have not seen the agony of parents come down in any of the passing years..if at all it has grown

Would appreciate your reply and feedback on this

I do Agree with Mr. Paras. My Problem  is that my son is a pre mature baby and doctor advised us to take care of him at least three years we have written papers.....last year he was not able to speak properly.Now he is better and talkative too. So this year we planned to admit him in nursery bt new problem of upper age limit rule is bothering us....because he is completing 4 years on 6th January 2013 .what should I do now? I am very tense. 

abhilasha..lets wait and watch in the next few days..as of now many schools are not aware of this..i checked up with a couple of schools also..i think there are many of us who are in the same boat..

Paras I know parents who failed to admit kids who are 4+ are worst hit.

The absence of a government-imposed upper limit on age for nursery admission has led to considerable confusion in the past. An age criterion varies with schools. So this upper age limit was considered to be essential one.

DOE has court directives to take decision and DOE consulted MHRD further regarding RTE and taken the decision.

Mr.Vohra demanded for a upper age limit like Central schools minimum age + 2 years but school lobby did not accept this move since 2 years age difference will make a big difference in class room.

Lathaa ji..agreed..But frankly they should notify it with a one year hiatus so the parents this year are prepared for future years and also its not hitting the parents who failed to/opted out of admissions last year.

While I agree with you that kids should be in an age appropriate class but you would also appreciate that there is hardly any difference between a march born or april born kid..i mean a child who is 4 years and 8 days old and a child who is 3 yrs 11 months 30 days old, do u really think they would be one year apart in terms of mental and physical skills as differentiated by the DOE

I request Mr Vohra to take this issue and see if the same can be deferred..also, marginal cases like feb or march born kids should be included..Can u or mr vohra suggest as to what we as parents do to put our objection to the higher ups..lookin forward to your help

MR VOHRA HAS OPENLY CRITICISED IN HT ,THAT THERE ARE NO VACANCIES IN KG TODAY'S NEWS PAPER WHERE WILL THEY GO?

Ma'am..What do u suggest is the way forward? written complaint to DOE? Going to court? what does mr Vohra suggest ?

RSS

Latest Activity

nidhi is now a member of Nursery Admissions in Delhi NCR 2024-25
Wednesday
Sakshi (Moderator) replied to Shashank Mishra's discussion Good School in Ghaziabad
Tuesday
Shashank Mishra posted a discussion
Tuesday
Shashank Mishra is now a member of Nursery Admissions in Delhi NCR 2024-25
Tuesday
Anamika Sharma is now a member of Nursery Admissions in Delhi NCR 2024-25
May 19
Profile IconBhawna and Bhawna joined Nursery Admissions in Delhi NCR 2024-25
May 17
Mayank Jain is now a member of Nursery Admissions in Delhi NCR 2024-25
May 12
Sakshi (Moderator) replied to Mehak's discussion Best CBSE schools in Noida